ROME, March 14 (Reuters) – Brief news ahead of this weekend’s matches in Italy’s Serie A.
* AS Roma captain Francesco Totti has expressed concern about facing an AC Milan side desperate to climb into the Champions League qualification zone at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday (1930 GMT).
“Milan worry me a little because the only objective they have left this year is to finish fourth (after Arsenal knocked them of the Champions League last week),” Totti told Sky television.
European champions Milan are one point behind fourth-placed Fiorentina, while second-placed Roma are six adrift of leaders Inter Milan.
Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso told reporters that Milan would not be happy to make do with a place in the UEFA Cup next season:
“The aim is fourth place because, with all respect, after having been at a certain level it would be a little sad to go and play at Bratislava or in Bulgaria in the UEFA Cup.”
* Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi and defenders Marek Jankulovski and Alessandro Nesta miss the trip to the capital through injury but midfielder Clarence Seedorf is in the squad after a thigh problem.
Roma full back Marco Cassetti is on the mend from a shoulder problem and makes the home side’s squad for the game.
* Inter’s injury list remains long ahead of Sunday’s home game against Palermo (1400), when the champions will be seeking to regain composure after the confusion caused by coach Roberto Mancini’s quickly reversed decision to quit this week.
Defenders Walter Samuel and Ivan Cordoba and midfielder Olivier Dacourt are expected to miss the rest of the season with knee injuries, while Brazilian duo Cesar and Maxwell have knee and ankle problems respectively.
Mancini announced he intended to leave Inter at the end of the season after Tuesday’s Champions League last-16 defeat by Liverpool, but then made a U-turn on Wednesday.
* Nicola Legrottaglie, Jonathan Zebina and Mauro Camoranesi are suspended for third-placed Juventus’s home game against Napoli on Sunday (1930 GMT), while midfielder Cristiano Zanetti is out because of a thigh injury.
Defender Jorge Andrade is unlikely to play again this season after the club said he underwent a second operation on Thursday on a knee injury he suffered in September.
His compatriot Tiago, however, should be available this weekend after an ankle problem the midfielder picked up in training proved less serious than first feared. Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved returns from a two-match suspension.
* Napoli are without suspended midfielders Daniele Mannini and Manuele Blasi and Uruguayan striker Marcelo Zalayeta, who needs surgery on an knee ligament injury.
* Romania striker Adrian Mutu is battling to return from a knee injury he suffered last month for Fiorentina’s home game against Genoa (1400).
SOURCE BY sports.yahoo.com/sow/news